Serving Clients With Resolve And Respect

A Certificate Of Rehabilitation Restores Important Rights

If expungement of a criminal record is not possible, a certificate of rehabilitation (COR) may be the best option. A COR restores some important rights of citizenship that are forfeited when someone is convicted of a felony. It is a court order stating that a person who has been convicted of a crime has been rehabilitated, which can improve career opportunities.

The granting of a COR also automatically initiates the process to receive a pardon from the governor — the final step in cleaning up a criminal record.

Individuals who are convicted of certain sex crimes or who live outside of California are not eligible for a certificate of rehabilitation. I will review your situation and explore all options for removing a conviction from your record. Call me, attorney Jacklyn Bentley, at 408-333-9192 to schedule a consultation.

Determining Eligibility For A COR

If you have a felony conviction and you served time in a state prison or local jail, you must complete parole or any type of supervision before you can be eligible for a COR. You also must have lived in California for the last five years.

If you have a felony conviction but did not serve time in prison, you must not have been jailed since your conviction, and you cannot be on probation for any other felony. The same five-year California residency also applies.

There is a minimum waiting period of seven years after being released from prison before a person is allowed to apply for a COR. This is known as the “period of rehabilitation” and generally serves to show the court you are able to obey all laws and maintain a clean record. The waiting period can be waived in some circumstances, but that is extremely rare.

Work With A Lawyer Who Is Committed To Your Cause

At the Law Office of Jacklyn Bentley, I guide people through the COR application process and represent them in the mandatory court hearing that is part of the procedure. To get the representation you deserve, contact me at 408-333-9192 or use my online contact form to schedule a consultation.